Wednesday, February 13, 2008

bored beyond belief

This afternoon was our first psychiatry clinical skills session. We watched our physician tutor interview a patient first for 45 minutes and then discussed it, then we watched one of our classmates interview another patient and discussed that. I thought it would be fascinating but it was dull. The first guy was especially painful as he suffers from depression and all of his body language communicated that - he spoke s-l-o-w-l-y, no facial expression, monotonous voice, ugh, the interview was like watching paint dry (my own energy was totally flagging and I was struggling to stay awake. I doubt it would have been that bad for me if I'd been conducting the interview.) Hmm. And I thought psychiatry would be interesting. Obviously not always but I'm not ready to rule it out after only 2 hours exposure to it. Off to a family practice info night tonight where they'll tell us about various subspecialties a few family docs are doing. Definitely curious about that & looking forward to it!

No comments: