- Crazy. I can’t believe it’s 2010 already. How many times have I written “Class of 2010” after my name in an attempt to sound somewhat “official” and as if I have a title other than medical student. And this year is also the 10 year reunion of my MBA class at Ivey, and it will be my 20 year high school reunion (neither of which I’ll be attending, though I hope other people go to take pictures and collect stories!). Wow, I’m old.
- It’s just starting to sink in about how close I am to a lot of major change in my life. With big changes like that comes excitement, but also …fear. Yep, I think that’s what’s staring me in the face a little right now – a bit of anxiety about trying to wow all the residency programs I’ll interview at and then trying to figure out which one I want to go to and then crossing my fingers & waiting to find out where I’ll be living for the next 2 years. A bit of a random process to leave your fate in a computer matching system that legally binds you to the result.
- Resolutions? I’m hoping to have less self doubt this year (the voice inside my head just responded with a sarcastic “Yeah, right”) and go a bit easier on myself. More discipline about consistently getting exercise. Having more fun! Seeing & staying in touch with people that are close to my heart. And perhaps learning to be a better communicator from a quote I saw today in my address book by Dorothy Nevill, which says “The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.” Or as per my Dad’s advice, “Rarely do you regret saying nothing.” I’ve found this is particularly true for me given that I so rarely say nothing. So perhaps the resolution is to be mindful of all that I say and do, though I suspect that this could be more of a lifestyle than a resolution.
- Anyway, must go and do some prepping for those upcoming residency interviews, like what literary character I most identify with, what my enemies (?hopefully I have none) would say about me, strengths/weaknesses, etc. I want to think in advance of what stories/examples I should draw upon in response to questions rather than spending too much time in the interview filling the space with “Ummmmmmmmmmmm”.
- May your new year be filled with good health, happiness & the people you love.
I was hopeful to get in to medicine, now I'm wanting to stay hopeful IN medicine. This is one of the ways I do that.
Friday, January 01, 2010
Happy New Year
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment