Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Seeing red

This week I'm in the clinic doing outpatient stuff with my preceptor. He seems to use me as someone to bounce off of, (a sounding board really) and occasionally asks me a question or to do part of a physical exam. That's fine by me. I find that some people take a while to warm up and I think he's in the camp. He's slowly giving me more responsibility (s-l-o-w-l-y) but next week I'll be doing inpatient stuff with him and then I think it will pick up. A big part of what I like about medicine is reading people and getting in tune with their style and adjusting mine accordingly. That includes my preceptors. I find it interesting to have to adjust constantly to different people to try to gel with them. Keeps me on my toes. Along with everything else keeping me on my toes. Anyway, tomorrow I'm in day surgery doing IV starts and watching colonscopies and endoscopies. Here's a picture of one here (CLICK HERE). That's what's referred to as an endoscopy and the colonscopy just comes from the bottom end. I've seen quite a few during my general surgery rotation in Victoria but that's fine. At this point, I can't really have seen too much of anything. And as for the IV starts, I need all the practice I can get since it is a pretty important skill for a doctor to be able to insert an IV. So please, God of Bloodletting, please smile on me tomorrow and all of the patients that I see. May I see that flash of blood on the first poke. Fingers crossed!

No comments: