Tuesday, June 23, 2009

ER Day 2

  • Two days into Emergency and so far, so good. It's very nice to have a dedicated teaching doc for the first 2 weeks just cherry picking cases to show us clinical findings and helping guide us through procedures. Over the last couple of days we've started IV's, put in catheters, put on a couple of casts, played with (aka tried on) a neck immobilizer and I even got my male classmate to try out the gynecology stretcher and put his feet in the stirrups to see how he liked it. He talked about feeling vulnerable and hopped down pretty quick. A good experience I think.
  • Today the doc we were with also told us all about a clinic that she works at in Whistler from time to time with some great patient care practices that make it more efficient for her AND much better for her patients (like no pre-booked appt's - only same day, wow!).
  • Now I've gotta run and start studying because as usual, yet another day in the hospital has reinforced how much I still have to learn about everything! And yes, I do look like one of those geeky interns on Grey's Anatomy with my short white coat pockets bulging with books.
  • PS. If your tooth is completely pulled from the socket in an accident, put it in a cup of milk and bring it to the hospital. They might be able to reinstall it! Emergency is turning out to be the McGyver of medicine.

1 comment:

tee1971 said...

ummm, why milk? Is it the mostly likely beverage you'll have on hand that's cold, a neutral pH, and isotonic?