Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Too nice

I've spent the last couple of days feeling sorry for my preceptor while a few patients get angry at him for booking problems and mishaps made by his office staff. The funny thing is that while I heard him say to them that he was embarrassed by the delays and mistakes and would attend to it immediately, when I later heard him speak with the person responsible for the problems, he didn't pass along the importance of these patients' situations and the mistakes made. In a nutshell, he was too nice and passed up a good opportunity to use this as a very specific example of an error, the fallout of an angry patient unnecessarily being in pain for too long and what should have happened (and should happen next time). It's too bad that doctors don't get more training in managing people. Based on some experiences & conversations I've had so far, I think they could really use it.

No comments: