Sunday, February 08, 2009

Check-in

  • I've had a few people who read my blog ask me how things are actually going for me, since I sound so busy. Am I doing ok? Am I taking care of myself? I realized that while I thought I conveyed that message on my blog, perhaps I'm not since I do tend to avoid writing when I'm feeling a bit in the dumps because really, who wants to hear about that?
  • So in answer to those questions - Yes! I'm doing well. I'm not feeling overwhelmed, although I should be studying more (so I'm feeling guilty) but that's about all. I always sacrifice studying for more sleep, so no worries there. I haven't been running as much as I was in the fall but I have high hopes that I'll get back on track with that as the days lengthen, the weather improves, and I enter my psych rotation with kinder hours (and the rumoured one hour lunch breaks!!). Overall, year three hasn't been the hellish experience I was anticipating. There's still room for that to happen, but I'm optimistic that it won't be as bad as I was imagining when I initially made the leap to go to med school. I even had things turn out in my favour when a series of 'fortunate' events to do a palliative care elective in Vancouver threatened the course I've registered to take on Gabriola island in June. An important contact in palliative care told me she'd set up an elective for me in Vancouver and I thought I was going to miss out on a course I'd been looking forward to (and paid a deposit on) on Gabriola. But happily, that option isn't going to pan out which makes the Gabriola course(my favoured one) get the green light. Yippee! 10 days on Gabriola in mid-June will be a pleasant diversion from the busyness of the regular rotation schedule, that's for sure!
  • Thanks for dropping in from time to time. As always, I appreciate hearing that people are reading what I'm writing, so feel free to leave a comment even just to say 'hi'.
  • Argh, had to use the bullets again to circumvent my ongoing formatting troubles. Sorry about that but it can't be helped!

1 comment:

KLR said...

Yayyyy!!! You didn't tell me about Gabriola - that's amazing news!!