- The sheer volume of people in hospital that are there because of the lack of long term care beds in the community vs a requirement to receive acute care medicine. Some mornings it feels like we’re working in a nursing home. Which isn’t terrible, it’s just not that interesting. Plus, since they’re in hospital and under our care, we need to continually make sure they are in an ok state of health. Which at times feels like they morph into our little science projects to draw bloodwork on and then try to get their lab values looking good. Sometimes it feels like a bit too much focus on lab values vs the big picture (though I realize that if some key lab values get too outta wack it will affect the big picture). This is particularly true for deaf, demented patients that are nearing the ends of their lives and who can’t really communicate clearly to you at the best of times with anything other than a perplexed look. Argh.
- Lack of relationships with anyone other than nurses. In Peds, I got to know the occupational therapist, the physiotherapist, the nutritionist, etc whereas here, we just seem to write orders for the nutritionist to see the patient and/or advise us on diet and we never seem to meet them. Not exactly sure why that is, maybe a combination of office location, poor space design (we’re in the oldest of the old part of the hospital which had been previously closed for the last 10 years until this fall – awaiting the new tower to be completed in 2010) and lack of time. Not sure, but I don’t like it. Makes for less job satisfaction and less of a sense of team.
- The darkness that has come with fall which makes evyerthing a little more dreary.
I was hopeful to get in to medicine, now I'm wanting to stay hopeful IN medicine. This is one of the ways I do that.
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
the transition is complete
Today for the first time, I looked up at the clouds and saw what reminded me of a muscle spindle. I also realized the other day that the acronym RBC has totally shed its previous meaning of Royal Bank of Canada and has now officially become referenced in my head as “red blood cell”. Yikes.
I’m counting the days til the end of my internal medicine rotation. Or at least the ward work. I can’t put my finger on it exactly but I’m finding it’s sucking the life and any happiness from me like a dementor from Harry Potter books. It’s not good. A few things that are tending to have that effect may be:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment