Wednesday, November 26, 2008

How sad is that…

  • Today I bought some very festive holiday paper napkins (yes, yes, shame on me say the enviros in the crowd) and hung them over top of a couple of pictures in my house and decided that this year, that’s a festive as I’m getting. Sad but true. Even I laughed at myself at the absurdity of what I was doing, but I think that’s really all I have time for – no time to unpack and then repack the decorations. Maybe I’ll buy a little pointsetta though. That might be nice.
  • We had an info session last night on 4th year, what that looks like and how the process works to select electives (or at least rank/show you interest for them) at UBC. I’m thinking about doing an elective in Arizona, maybe Newfoundland (I’ve heard great things about family med in NL, especially electives in Labrador) and maybe Calgary. I figure I should try to get out to the programs that I may apply to for residency. We’ll see.
  • Had my mid internal medicine review and that went well. Somehow I’ve managed to come across as competent and a good patient advocate, though I’m still embarrassed when I forget to check for something on physical exam or ask just the right question. Hopefully it will all magically come together by the end of ?? 4th year? Residency? How long can I expect to have the feeling that I’m not quite at the same level as my peers? Or maybe, just maybe, that’s what keeps you on your toes and spurs on your lifetime of learning. Sometimes that’s what excites me, sometimes that just seems tiring and I wish that I could feel competent in something again for awhile.
  • Anyway, speaking of (in)competence, better get back to the books!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think anybody is surprised that "somehow" you've managed to come across as competent and a good patient advocate... the world needs more doctors like the kind you're going to be...

hopeful md said...

Aww, thanks Shell - very sweet!