Wednesday, April 23, 2008

da place is tick wit 'em!

I often find myself sitting in class listening to a clinician and thinking "Geez that person sounds like they're from Newfoundland!". I'm just thinking it because I used to say it aloud but I was saying it often enough that I thought my poor classmate may think I have some delusion that 1/2 the population of BC is made up of Newfoundlanders. (Although last time a woman with the last name Tobin speaking from Prince George made my day when she said she'd brought a dish from her hometown to a potluck - cod tongues from St. John's NL.) So today, I was sitting in a seminar with a nice young pediatrician here in Victoria and as we looked at this video of a newborn being examined she said "Oh, what a sin!" when the poor baby was poked and prodded. Once again I found myself thinking...hmmmm, another Newfoundlander? Nah, can't be. As I left the workshop I ended up walking out with her and as talk turned to the weather, sure enough, she commented on how different it was from Newfoundland (where she's from)! Of course we had a brief chat re her schooling (MUN) and how much we both like Victoria. And I walked away feeling smug. And that perhaps my estimation was off. I think 3/4 of the BC population may be from Newfoundland. :)

No comments: