I was hopeful to get in to medicine, now I'm wanting to stay hopeful IN medicine. This is one of the ways I do that.
Tuesday, January 16, 2007
First real family practice
Today I had my first real family practice shadowing experience, since last fall was very different from most of my classmates with geriatric mental health outreach. I quite liked it. What a variety of issues patients come in with - WCB issues, ear wax buildup, medication prescriptions, pre-op checkups... The variety really appeals to me and the day flew by because we were so busy. I've been VERY fortunate to have been assigned a great preceptor (name for the doctor that I'm shadowing). He has a good sense of humour and in a small world turn of events, I know his brother from Vancouver. :> He's quite interested in effective practice management, so I hope to learn alot about that from him as well, while I'm there. The only wrinkle was the lead up to my afternoon. During lunch I popped home and as soon as I slammed my door tight behind me, I realized I had forgotten my shiny new stethoscope and MY KEYS! Argh. Oh well, good thing my parents have a set handy.
Currently in school we've started to study bugs - viruses, parasites, bacteria and fungi that cause disease. As with most things in this program it seems, there is a TON of information to know about each bug - is it gram +/-, round/rod-shaped/other, what does it do, what antiobiotics(for bacteria) work against it, etc. Now that I'm finished my exams I'm hoping to get caught up this coming weekend (I took last weekend off and got a bit more settled into my place). I'm hoping that this info sticks with me as much as some of it did during my undergrad, for some reason the names of parasites that were particularly gross (or interesting) seemed to stick. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Congrats on finishing your exams! A bit of breathing room until the next set I guess.
Totally sounds like undergrad. There are times I miss that aspect of the natural world as my career is now focused on the world of business. I loved my Parasitology class - the grosser, the more interesting typically!
Enjoy.
Post a Comment