- The last week has been a bit crazy. Multiple birthday celebrations, weekend out of town guests staying with me in my wee apartment (normally not so wee but it felt that way when there's people sleeping everywhere you look), no time to do any work, and to really put things in perspective, one friend in hospital with a newly diagnosed brain tumour that I'm trying to support by phone long distance.
- This friend used to work with me and was a part of my team at the bank when another member of our team was diagnosed with cancer. I think the rallying around her we did at that time caused him to reach out to us again after a few years of no contact, just the day after he received this devastating news. After 3 years of not being in touch, it took no time at all to reconnect by phone and get to the heart of the matter. I am grateful that he contacted me and that I can at least let him know the odd tip or two to help ease his anxiety and talk about what may lie ahead for him with each new test, etc (e.g. that the MRI machine is famous for making people feel claustrophobic, so to ask for some anti-anxiety medication; stuff like that). I haven't had too much experience in medicine yet, but what life has taught me so far is that people are tremendously resilient and that sheer stubbornness and a strong will can go a long, long way. But the odd prayer doesn't hurt either. My friend is heading into neurosurgery on Monday in Vancouver. So if you think of it, please include in him your prayers/send him your good vibes on that day. Every little bit counts. His name is Ken.
I was hopeful to get in to medicine, now I'm wanting to stay hopeful IN medicine. This is one of the ways I do that.
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
a quickie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment