- It’s been busy! I’m at the mid-way mark through week 2 of family practice and I must say, I do really enjoy that too. The doctor I’m working with is great – wonderful, caring manner with patients with a great sense of humour, knowledgeable and takes the time to teach in between patients, and very passionate about this work. I’m learning from him about medicine and some of the system stuff behind the scenes.
One of the best things about family medicine is the variety of people and problems. Over the last week, I have:
- Done several well baby check ups at 3 months, 9 months, 12 months, etc
- Examined some pregnant women for their prenatal checkups
- Visited a palliative care patient in their home a number of times, tweaking medical treatment of the patient and providing support to his wife
- Administered many flu shots
- Spent some time with a visiting psychiatrist who was doing a few consults
- Delivered a presentation on high blood pressure to a group of 10 patients affected by it
- and much more...
- I really enjoy the combination of medicine, social work and frankly just getting to know people that comes with the job. And I really see the contribution that a good, committed family doctor can make to the health of an individual and a family. There was one woman who had all kinds of non-specific symptoms and I had a hunch that something was up but when I prompted her, she said nothing had changed in her life. When the doctor joined us, she told him that she had just quit her job that day which had been stressing her for some time. I realized that she just wanted to talk to HIM. The power of relationships.
- But along the way this week I managed to pick up a cold which is running quickly through my system and I’m hoping will be mostly gone by tomorrow. So, to that end, I’m going to put on my doctor hat and follow my own advice. Off to bed.will write more later. But maybe not til next week as this is a busy one which is topped off by my lovely NL friend Christine coming for a weekend visit! Yippee!
- ‘night.
No comments:
Post a Comment