Thursday, March 27, 2008

The perils of videoconferencing

Today I walked into class to see my Vancouver prof setting up her lecture powerpoint (actually some cool animations which I like) and turned to the one classmate that was already in the room and said “It’s unfortunate but the animations don’t make up for the fact that she’s a kinda crappy teacher”. Then we went on to discuss the music associated with the animation the prof was queuing up which I thought was very Mission Impossible-like while my classmate thought was more of the porno soundtrack variety. At that moment, the prof from Vancouver gets on her mike and says “We can hear sound from Victoria, you must have a microphone on.”

My classmate & I turn to each other and exchange looks of horror and that indescribable facial expression that says “OH SHIT!!”.

Then I walk over to the dimly light microphone that was turned on (which surprised us since the camera was NOT zoomed in at that location is it normally does) and turned it off. BRUTAL. I felt terrible! I no doubt made my prof, who’s a lovely if somewhat confusing lecturer, feel awful as well. I can’t believe it. Then, later on in the lab, we were laughing about the new haircut my other classmate got and then again the same prof said “We can hear someone having fun and I’m assuming it’s coming from Victoria”. And sure enough, it was a microphone right by my head. Maybe I’m transmitting some kind of electromagnetic energy today that is flipping on microphones everywhere I go. Or maybe I’m bugged. Maybe this is how paranoid delusions start?? :)

2 comments:

Jiti said...

you are such a gomer!!

Anonymous said...

Ouch!! That's a good reminder to me to watch what I say and email, 'cause you never know who is listening, or who might read what you've put in print...