Sunday, September 23, 2007

Ode to the paper letter

I savour them when they arrive They’re very rare but o-so-sweet. Second only to seeing someone live Paper letters are such a treat! (I know, a bit lame, but I tried.) I have a couple of friends with whom I exchange paper letters. In this day of email, facebook, text messages, and Skype, it almost seems quaint and yet I find paper letters to be in a category all their own. For me, it’s the combo of seeing someone’s handwriting, the extra little bit of effort required to mail itand the rarity of getting REAL mail (besides bills) that makes me treasure each letter I receive. I like to make a big production about sitting down to read them too – making a cup of tea, finding some quiet spot & sitting down to enjoy. It’s almost like having a little visit with the person. I feel the same way about writing them actually. Maybe now that everything in our lives seemingly moves at warp speed, the slow things are that much more special.

No comments: