Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Confessions

Well, I just got off the phone with a dear friend who I’m thrilled to learn is submitting her Canadian citizenship application tomorrow. As it turns out, the application takes 10-12 months to process (worse than even the passport office if you can imagine, which I’m not sure if my mom can after her nerve-wracking 5 month wait). When I told her that I insist on coming to her citizenship ceremony, she told me that she was quite flattered by this. In fact, I must confess that my motives are quite selfish. I’m so proud of her because she’s so fantastic, being a big heart & brained environmental lawyer and I’m such a proud Canadian that I think a ceremony celebrating the two coming together could only be fantastic! Even as I talk about it, I realize that I’m so excited I don’t know if I can wait 10-12 months. In the meantime, I guess I can start thinking up suitable citizenship gifts. A lifetime supply of maple syrup? Good ol’ newfie Jiggs dinner for all her friends and family? (actually who’s kidding who, that’s not much of a treat in my books) A cd set of all the CBC Radio One Stuart McLean’s Vinyl Café episodes? Hmmm, I may need the whole year just to think of an appropriate gift to mark the moment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - I got quite the shock on reading this - I was expecting to read the further adventures of your medical journey. But I'm now no longer the silent blog reader - the one that reads your blog and and then only chats to you about it later. It's crazy that my first note on here is to say: thank you so much for your lovely comments! As always it means a lot to have your support! Just so it's out there, I have to say that for me, Canada just wouldn't be the same place without you. You're the one with the big heart and brains and you never cease to inspire me(and no that's not in anticipation of any gifts - none are required...). Really!!

By the way, I hope I'm not going to get this in the Citizenship Test - but what in the world is a Jiggs dinner??

hopeful md said...

I've included a link on the Jigg's dinner reference so you can see what it's all about, along with some other NFLD favorites.
Thanks for the compliments. Now enough from the mutual admiration society - back to regular programming on the next blog update. :)

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say that it's good to have you back blogging, and we still miss you at Sassy.

Looking forward to hearing about more about year two!