Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Peaking early

I believe I may have just experienced the peak of my residency. The pinnacle of my studies. Over the last few weeks, I had some very good luck combined with a smidgen of good clinical judgment which resulted in a patient being diagnosed and treated for a large colon cancer that she didn't know she had. This all came to pass within 12 days. As a result, the patient is delighted (despite her diagnosis) for the speedy process of tracking down what was the cause of her vague abdominal pain. So pleased in fact, that yesterday she sent me an enormous bouquet of flowers. In the meantime, my visit to see the patient in hospital to check on her seemed to prompt an extremely complimentary letter about me being written by the senior surgical resident (a near staff doctor, at year 5 in a 5 year program) to my program director outlining the trajectory of this patient's swift diagnosis and treatment. Besides making me feel great (and slightly swelling my head), I've been reflecting on what went right that I can carry forward to other patient experiences. My key take-aways:
  • Again I'm reminded of the quote by who-knows-who "The best way to care for the patient is to CARE for the patient." I think people can tell when you genuinely care about them and the easier I can make it for them to navigate the health care system in the least painful way possible, the better for everyone. 
  • Praise is underrated. I've been wondering how I might build relationships with specialists that I refer patients to if I decide not to get hospital privileges (with which I would manage my patients' care in hospital, which is an often overwhelming experience when you're not there all day/every day). Popping in to visit my patients on a social basis (that is, not taking medical responsibility for them but paying them a visit) and writing a note of thanks to the team that's coordinating care is a great way to help build relationships with both the patient AND the specialists whom you may or may not meet. I don't think people are thanked enough in healthcare for the long hours & hardwork they do every day. I mean all healthcare providers - social workers, doctors, nurses, etc. A specific note of thanks goes a long way. 
  • Checking in on a patient while in hospital goes a long way to building rapport. They don't care that you're not coordinating their care there, they're just happy to see you because it means that you care about them. 
So while I may have just experienced the "best of" part of my residency, I look forward to many more rewarding moments. Because to quote one of my favorite doctors/educators/wise women Rachel Naomi Remen from a cd I listened to recently called "Care for the Journey", sharing my humanness with the patient is just as important as sharing my knowledge.

1 comment:

Sami Lama said...

Jody - you performing an act of caring and professionalism is no surprise to me! Well done and keep it up!