Friday, April 10, 2009

The Post-Psych entry (sorry, I'm feeling unoriginal today as far as titles go)

  • Hello faithful readers!
  • Now that I have my new stats counter I can see that people are coming to read my blog on occasion and even if you're as silent as a mouse, at least it shows me there's an audience for my spouting off. Thanks for listening.
  • Yesterday marked the end of yet another rotation (assuming I passed the exams, ugh). Psychiatry. I hadn't really anticipated my patients being sad to see me go and while one was fine with it, the other guy that I've been following seemed very sad and wouldn't really talk to me on the last day except in one-word answers after he started by mentioning his psychiatrist had told him it was my last day. I just thought he didn't want to talk and when I came back to the nurse's station a bit disheartened, one of the residents said "Maybe he's sad that you're leaving." Then I remembered that he had said the day before that he felt he could open up to me much more than his psychiatrist. That's a drag. He's really sick too with all kinds of delusions, hallucinations and occasional violent impulses. However, I must say that I'm looking forward to going back to the land of non-mental health for a change. Obstetrics is up next.Starting with a 24 hour call shift on Easter Monday. Nothing like starting on a holiday when the only people around will be moms with babies trying to break loose for Easter egg hunting!
  • On a completely unrelated note, I recently had a chat with a nurse on the ward who asked me a bunch of questions including do I have kids, am I married, have I been in a long (10 yr+) relationship. Yikes! No, no, no. I must say I felt a little as if I have nothing to show for myself at age 36. And yet I realize that some people (not including my friends who are all as happy as clams), would look at my life with envy as being free to be completely self-absorbed in my own interests, career, etc. without having to worry about what anyone else wants to do/or how anyone else is effected by my decisions. As for what I think, I'm happy that I've come this far getting to do my own thing, "grow-up" and find a career that feels tailor-made for me BUT... I'm hankering for the kinds of relationships that most of my friends have. So, if ya know of anyone... please do keep me in mind. I welcome referrals!

No comments: