Tuesday, September 02, 2008

quik update

Just a quick note tonight, as I'm already up past my bedtime. Had a jam-packed day today with an orientation to our "big 3" rotations - pediatrics, surgery and internal medicine. Then headed to the other hospital for a walk about and a ward orientation for the afternoon. There are a bunch of different areas for pediatrics in the hospital - pediatrics ward, pediatrics intensive care, neonatal intensive care, pediatric daycare (for day procedures/scans), child and family ambulatory care where the subspecialty clinics are (e.g. endocrinology or medical genetics). Managed to track down a source of free coffee (doctor's lounge) and lotsa great books for free (via the hospital librarian). After this busy day, I went to MEC to get a primo bag that will carry all my gear around on the ward (stethoscope, reflex hammer, mini drug books, pda, etc). This bag doesn't swing around and my classmate saw a resident using it for this purpose and even wearing it doing physical exams on patients. handy. Then I bought new sneakers and went for a 55 minute run - doing intervals of 4 minute run/1 minute walk. I've been building up to this for the last 3 weeks but I'm pretty proud of myself for trying to like running. I think I might be determined this time since it's such a good and easy-to-do-anywhere workout. we'll see if my running continues throughout my busy rotation. Feel free to ask me about running (I like (?)/need the pressure provided by outside inquirers). Anyway, gotta go to bed and prep for an early day tomorrow with a peds subspecialist in neurology.

1 comment:

KLR said...

I didn't know you were running again - cool! I'm thinking about giving it another shot too. My challenge will be not (a) injuring myself, and (b) getting addicted again.